Instagram is introducing a new feature that allows you to recover recently deleted posts.
The feature, calledRecently Deleted , allows you to view posts you’ve deleted – including photos, videos, reels, IGTV videos and stories – and restore them. Instagram said it developed the feature to help users who are victims of hackers: “We know that hackers sometimes delete content when they have access to an account, and until now, people had no way to easily recover their photos and videos.”
Starting February 2, 2021, Instagram said that deleted items will remain in a “Recently Deleted” folder for 30 days. After that, they will be automatically deleted. The only exception is for deleted stories, which will remain in the Recently Deleted folder for 24 hours before they also disappear for good.
How to access the recently deleted folder on Instagram
Open the latest version of Instagram and go to Settings> Account> Recently Deleted. Instagram will ask via email or SMS to verify that you are the owner of the account when deleting or permanently restoring content from Recently Deleted.
- How to restore content you’ve deleted from Instagram
- Tap your profile picture at the bottom right to access your profile.
- Tap the menu icon at the top right, then tap Settings.
- Tap Account, then tap Recently Deleted.
- At the top, tap the type of content you want to restore or permanently delete.
- Tap the photo, video or story you want to restore or permanently delete.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the top right.
- Tap Restore to Profile or Restore to restore the content or delete it.
What deleted posts can you recover on Instagram?
You can recover the following content from your Instagram account if you’ve deleted it in the last 30 days:
- Photos and videos from your profile
- Photos and videos from your Instagram story *
- Instagram stories from highlights and your story archive
- Direct messages
Note: Deleted stories will remain in the recently deleted folder for up to 24 hours. Everything else will be automatically deleted 30 days later.